Seal Beach

Seal Beach

Carp Trip

Carp Trip

Friday, April 25, 2008

Fun in Santa Barbara

Channel Islands
Shoreline Park, the ocean is way down below us...

East Beach
Arroyo Burro Beach


California Sea Lion-washed up during a high tide



I've taken a few pictures here in SB, so I thought I better start sharing...
It is a beautiful city, situated on the lower part of the central California coast or on the upper part of Southern California. The coast here runs East and West, rather than North to South, so I am totally turned around here. I think I am looking out to the East at the Mountains that I can see from our living room window. To the right is the direction of the beach-which would be South on this California Beach. I have always thought of California beaches as being to the West. The southern orientation to the ocean gives it the climate of Southern Italy in the Mediterranean-very mild and lovely. Usually not too hot. Not too many Santa Barbarans (is that a word?) have air coonditioning-so it's off to the the mall or the movies on the really hot days!
There are three main towns in the SB area-Goleta, Santa Barbara, and Carpenteria. I work in Goleta-it is 20 minutes from our place-we are on 'the mesa.' Our apartment is right off of Cliff Drive. I drive through some ruralish areas on my way to work. Gas is over $4.00 a gallon here, by the way! We are within walking distance of downtown SB in one direction and the beach in the other direction. Lots of neat old buildings here-although they have had their share of catastrophes-major fires and earthquakes. They say the earthquakes have helped their town to rejuvenate and re-build with a more uniform style, the homes downtown are lovely-I'll have to remember to take pictures of them. Carpenteria is a cute little town where Cate is located-the school my adorable niece Taylor is going to attend next year! There is a street named Santa Clause Lane where they sell Christmas stuff all year long.
We are planning to hike and sight see-lots of farming-wine country-Hearst Castle-Piedras Blancas-where the Elephant Seals hang out-delicious barbequed tri-tip in Gudalupe and Santa Maria-Old Catholic Missions-Solvang-a town with a Swedish flair-etc etc etc-I have a page filled out with all the places I want to go, not to mention State Street and Stearns Wharf-right here in Santa Barbara. Wish us Godspeed-we are going to need it!

No comments: