Seal Beach

Seal Beach

Carp Trip

Carp Trip

Friday, February 1, 2008

Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve












Hanauma Bay is a sea eroded crater from an extinct volcano just below Koko Head. It is great for snorkeling, which Cameron has done and I'm sure he will talk me in to. The water takes a little getting used to and there are fish everywhere! So that freaks me out a little, but I've snorkeled before and enjoyed it. One of my new friends at work is going to let me borrow her wet suit, then I will feel a little more protected and a little bit warmer. Did you know that the older woman get, the less they are able to tolerate cold? It is actually a scientific fact, I'm not making it up! I have seen the fish just from standing there up to my thighs in the water. The bay is very shallow really far out-so you see people standing out there and you think they are walking on the water-it is so cool. There are over a million visitors a year, so arrive early in the day to get a parking spot. There is a trolley down the hill to the beach which costs 50 cents to ride down and $1 to ride up! It costs $5 to get into the park and you can rent snorkeling equipment. You get to watch a cool video about the preserve-notice I said 'get to'. It is very well done with soothing Hawaiian music.




We took sandwiches, chips and sodas. And of course, sun screen. It was a funny day-it rained and was cold and then the sun would come out and totally warm you up. That is Hawaiin winter for you!

No comments: